Friday, June 5, 2009

RUHtF: Safi Sniper at Knitting Factory (opening for the Fall)


This one truly deserves to be filed under "you-must-see-it-with-your-own-eyes-to-believe-it-cause-my-description-doesn't-come-close-to-doing-it-justice".

The Fall came stateside a few years back and being the Fall fanatic I am, I saw them every Southern California opportunity (and San Diego). I had never heard of the opening act... but what I saw I was not prepared for.

The Fall's equipment was all set up on the stage... and some guy came out holding an Apple laptop, set it down, opened it up, hooked it up... and began his show. I was expecting, as the rest of the audience probably was, techno music to start pulsating from his laptop. However, what we saw was what shall follow in this post.

When I tried to explain to people what I saw the next day my words could not describe it. He picks a single syllable, single beat, a single picture, and proceeds to loop it ad nauseum. Needless to say, I, and the rest of the audience, sat there stunned with our mouths agape. Luckily, I had my digital camera and captured part of this performance, once I realized I would not be able to properly describe this the next day. I did the shooting, ergo the shaky picture.

If you don't "get it", don't worry... it's not to be gotten, like any good abstract art.

No comments: